The Health and Nutritional Benefits of Dates
Posted on May 20, 2014
Dates are a great snack in that not only do they taste amazing, but they're also extremely nutritious! All varieties of dates that we have to offer at Dateland Date Gardens come with these great health benefits. Some of the biggest health-related medjool date benefits include:
- Easily digestible. Dates are extremely easy to eat, which is particularly important for people who purchase dates for the post-fasting meals of Ramadan. People who are fasting need easily digestible foods so that they do not exhaust their digestive systems.
- Rich in fiber. Every medjool date has about 1.6 grams of fiber, or about 5% of your daily value. The soluble fiber found in dates promotes healthy cholesterol and blood glucose levels.
- High in potassium. Potassium is an extremely vital mineral for many of your basic physiological processes. The cells found in your body contain more potassium than any other type of mineral. It is linked to body processes like muscle contraction, hormone secretion and nerve transmission.
- Rich in other nutrients. There are plenty of other nutrients found in dates, including magnesium, copper, vitamin B, manganese, iron, riboflavin, vitamin K and more. Basically, dates contain at least small amounts of almost every mineral that is essential to your daily diet. The levels of potassium, magnesium and copper found in dates can account for between eight and ten percent of your daily value.
- Reduce the acidity of your blood. The alkaline salts found in dates help to reduce the acidity of your blood, which can be caused from eating too much meat or carbohydrates. Highly acidic blood could cause diabetes, high blood pressure, hemorrhoids, gout, gall bladder problems and more.
Simply put, dates are a natural treat that allow you to satisfy the cravings of your sweet tooth without having to resort to unhealthy sweet snacks. You can eat dates without guilt and give some of their outstanding nutritional benefits to your body.